Setting the scene and starting with prayer.
This sermon was not recorded.
The book of Nehemiah is the last historical book of the Old Testament. Jerusalem’s Temple has been rebuilt but the the city walls are in ruins. Nehemiah’s brother travelled almost 1,000 miles to bring news of the perilous state of Jerusalem. Nehemiah is upset at this news. His response is to pray and seek God’s wisdom.
- He starts with God, acknowledging God as the Lord of Heaven
- He confesses Israel’s and his own sin and need for repentance
- He is persistent in prayer and continues to pray day and night
- He claims the promise in Deuteronomy 30- that if they confess their sin and turn back to God, God will restore them
- He prays that he can be part of the solution and acts only after prayer.